Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coffee filters

Posted by token28001 zone7 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 11, 08 at 15:40

I started collecting seeds this year. When I started, I was using paper plates and paper towels. I found that the seeds, especially petunias and hibiscus would roll right off the towels if I bumped them or tried to pick them up. One morning while making coffee, I discovered a great little tool. Now, my workbench is covered with 4 cup filters with all kinds of seeds drying. The coffee filters seem to wick the moisture away faster since the edges are off the surface of the table.

Just thought I'd share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coffee filters

Sounds wonderful. I have different varieties of irises on corelle plates, stacked one on top of another. I found when I picked up a plate, that seeds were sticking to the bottom of them, and then releasing and rolling everywhere. My dining table ended up with a lot of iris seeds loose on it, and I'm clueless which variety they came from.
I'll use the filters now!

Thanks!

Sue

o

I have been using coffee filters also. They do work well. Another thing I like to use are the paper cups used to make cupcakes. Those also work great.

Amy

o

Ooooh. Cupcakes. MMMM. I wish I had thought of that when I was collecting petunia seed. LOL

o

Great idea! Thanks!

o

awesome idea!! i'll have to go to the store and get some!!

o

I like to use aluminum pie plates and paper cups for collecting & drying seed heads, but a friend told me about using small paper bags she collects from happy meals and the like. She places the seed heads in the bags, closes loosely, when the heads are dry she shakes the bags to loosen the seeds from the heads and then pours the seeds out. I haven't tried it yet but will for larger seeds.

o

Moving this great idea back to the top.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here