Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Harvest Purple Coneflower Seed

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 10 at 16:04

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but not to seed saving. I've done cosmos and morning glories in the past. This year, my neighbor gave me seeds off of her marigolds and her orange African daisy.

Today, I'm harvesting the seeds off of mom's purple coneflowers. I took a picture of just what came off about four flowers. I have more setting outside at the moment.
Here's a picture:
Photobucket

Should I throw the straw colored parts out? I don't think they're part of the seeds? I'm planning to give these away to friends, family and possibly some trades/surprise gifts.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Harvest Purple Coneflower Seed

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 13, 10 at 16:43

No, the straw colored things are the seeds. The dark spiky stuff is what holds the seeds on the head. The link below has a close up shot of the seeds.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Echinacea Seeds

o

Yes, I think the seeds look like little space shuttles. Be careful not to stick yourself on the spiny parts. Can give you a little skin irritation...

o

Glad I looked at this post, I realize now that I probably saved very little seed... I kept the black spiky parts, and threw away the true seed! ugh... Ah well, live and learn :) I will try again this season :)

o

I'm finding I have to pop them loose from the seed head with my thumbnail and they are rather a pain to get. Anyone else have this issue with purple coneflower. I have about 6 or so seed heads to deseed and I don't know if I want to go gather more if they are going to be this difficult.

o

Try cutting the seedheads in half with pruning shears or hold it in place with pliers while you use either an ice pick or awl to poke the seeds free. I use whatever tools help me avoid the pain & struggle.

o

Thanks for the tip!!

o

I cut the seed pod (center of the flower) off once petals are gone & lay out on cookie sheet to dry. Then I use small pliers and just pull the seeds off and let dry again on cookie sheet. I store the seeds in qt jar with a little DE powder. Hint: The drier the seeds, the easier they come off!! I do the same with Blackeyed susans, hollyhock, etc. Talk about wonderful gifts and it is amazing how many seeds you can actually harvest!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here