Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed Viability of Different Garden Ornamentals

Posted by
judy-hebe 8b
(gw:judy-hebe) on
Thu, Sep 7, 06 at 16:08

I know that various seeds have different viability times from each other. I also know that conditions for germination can also vary. But I'd like to find a web site that will list the time seeds of various plants stay viable under the right storage conditions. I can find nothing specific - only generalities or those of plants like weeds or vegetables. Can someone point me to a good site or two, please?

I have a lot of seeds I've saved over the last few years & would like to share with friends & e-pals but sure don't want to send 'dead' seeds to them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed Viability of Different Garden Ornamentals

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 7, 06 at 21:05

Hi Judy,
The site below has some flower seeds listed below the vegetable list. I find most flowers last at least a few years. Some will last a long time. The ones that lose viability quickly seem to be woodland type flowers. Many of them need to be sown immediately and kept moist.
If you still feel unsure about a particular seed, you could always do the paper towel germination test. I know it works, I've had sunflowers germinate that way. If you google that, you will get lots of hits.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Longevity Chart

o
RE: Seed Viability of Different Garden Ornamentals

• Posted by
    judy-hebe 8b
    (gw:judy-hebe) on
    Wed, Sep 13, 06 at 2:57

Thanks for the link, Remy. The link gave me a good rough idea of the viability which is all I expect since how long seeds stay good depends on diff conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here