Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamm321

How can I harvest seed from blue fescue and pennisetum hamlin?

AdamM321
18 years ago

Hi,

I can actually see seed developing on the pennisetum but when are they reading to collect? The "flowers" on the blue fescue are turned like a bleached beige color, but they just look like flower heads and not seed?

Adam

Comments (4)

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

I'm a little confused with this question. Blue fescue here is ornamental grass. It sends up seeds like all grasses, wheat etc. When it dries, just strip the stem. You can feel the little hard ripe viable seed inside the chaff. It self sows very well here and is easy to germinate.

Penstemmon here forms pods when it's done flowering. I have husker red. It makes tear drop pods about 1/3 inch long. When they brown and crack at the top, you can shake out the salt size seed. Penstemmon husker red takes forever to ripen. It's still not ready here, but should be ripe soon. Also the seeds smell like feet. Thank goodness it's a lovely plant with beautiful foliage and pretty spring flowers.

• anarus
    10 years ago

I know this is a really old post and probably should be removed from this forum, but since it's still on here I want to post a response. Adam is talking about pennisetum hameln, a dwarf fountain grass, not penstemon. I looked it up. From what I know about ornamental grasses, esp. dwarf or short grasses, the best way to multiply them is to divide them at the roots. I brought a small blue fescue plant with me when I moved from Colorado to Washington state 7 yrs ago. I've transplanted it 4 times and it has never failed me. I used a shovel to divide it last fall for the first time into three plants, and I wasn't very gentle with it because the roots were so tightly bound. One plant died, but the other two made it with consistent watering and feeding. I never cut mine down because it actually makes them look worse. Now I'll let one of the plants grow as big as it wants to get and I'll just divide the other one in a couple of years, and so on. My guess is that you can do the same with pennisetum. I've also divided ferns, bulbs, and hardy fuchsias successfully..

• James Deese
    2 years ago

I've been g

rowing K-31 Fesque in a yard that acid from 20 39 gallion bags of leaves with Natural fertilizer and lime. I added one nice of top soil and seeded hevilley and added 1/4 inches of top to the whole yard ( about 3000 square feet ) at a cost running about $2000.00 to date this season including $600.00 or so of city water in NC. ZIP 28083. I also grew extra grass in a 1 square ft tub that I am using as plugs for sunburn areas. All I can tell you is if you want the perfect grass in your yard; you're going to have to commit a lot of time and resources to it

• onebirdiema
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Let's see . . . the original 17 years ago, the second 9 years ago, the third last year -- and yes, perfect grass is just as difficult as anything else perfect to grow; great post -- so does that mean the next post is in a year or next week? Nevermind, doesn't matter. I have a pocket of blue fescue in full bloom at the edge/end of a garden bed in my front yard where I just put in four Valerian (out of necessity rather than design, BTW). We just move a small picnic table/bench from another area in the yard and the blocks that were under the feet left eight nice 8.5 x 14 bare spots. Area gets sun maybe three hours a day direct, the rest partial or shady. Need opinion: will the feral blue fescue "take" on these bare spots or should I find something more amenable to shade? TYVM

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions