Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epilobium angustifolium (Fireweed)- how to

Posted by christinmk z5b WA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 19:34

Hi! I have a bunch in my garden and was thinking about saving seed (from its second blooming) to trade. I see a tiny, VERY tiny, speck at the end of the 'tendril' that I presume is the seed. Yes? Should I clean off the long, fuzzy tendrils (the part used to carry the seed by wind)? Do I need to do this? The seed is so tiny that it seems impossible...
Thank you for any advice!
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epilobium angustifolium (Fireweed)- how to

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 9:21

CMK,
I was hoping someone would of answered you by now. I haven't saved seeds of E. angustifolium. I have however let a plant grow up that was the epilobium weed with tiny flowers and then the seed pod opened with the tiny seed attached just as you are describing of its prettier counterpart. I ended up with babies all over the area come spring(thank goodness they were easy to pull!)so I would assume that being tiny is not a problem with your seed. The fuzzy part can be removed. It is as you said only used for wind distribution and does not affect germination.
Remy

o
RE: Epilobium angustifolium (Fireweed)- how to

Thanks remy! I was thinking of sometime adding this to my trade list. The seed is so tiny I have to wonder if people would think I sent empty packets! If the fuzzy part does not affect the germination than I might as well leave it, or get a microscope to do it, lol!

They do reseed quite prolifically! But I don't mind, they are so pretty. And, like you said, are not hard to yank. Wish they transplanted better though.
Thanks Remy!
CMK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here