Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_witch

Getting reorganized...

garden_witch
18 years ago

I am in the middle of reorganizing my seed collection, taking inventory, etc. I'm a bit undecided as to how I am going to categorize everything. Last year I had my seeds in two boxes, one for herbs and veggies and one for flowers and foliage. With the herbs and veggies I divided them into hardy and tender herbs, then filed the veggies by type (solanums, legumes, grain, curcurbits, etc.) This worked fine, so I am continuing with that system this year. The flowers and foliage I had filed by hardiness (hardy annual, tender anual, tropical, hardy perenial, tender perenial, etc.) but a lot of things were misplaced or forgotten that way. Most of my seeds were hardy perenials, and sorting through a hundred or more packets for the one thing I was looking for got a bit tedious.

I want to use an easier system for them this year, but I just can't seem to think of a way to keep things straight. I was thinking alphabeticly by latin name, but many of my seeds are from trade, so the exact variety and species will remain unknown until growing time. Of course using common names to alphabetize is out of the question, I would just be asking for a headache there =)

I also thought filing them by family would be good, until I actually started looking everything up in my books, yikes! It would take forever! Plus, I am not all that familiar with the families yet, so unless I knew what family a plant was from, how would I find it??? arg!

Does anyone have a simple, straight forward system for keeping hundreds of packets organized? Any suggestions would be welcomed and much appreciated!

~GW

Comments (10)

• NikkoBlue
    18 years ago

What about by color? Red, orange, yellow ....mix, and so on. You know what your looking for and I'm sure you can picture the plant in your mind, so you'll be able to thumb through blue for lobelia. This should even work for foliage for the most part. Just an idea, not a system I've tested, as I only have about 5 packs this year.

Cheryl

• garden_witch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Theres something to think about =) I guess that could be a good way to subdivide the annuals and perenials, might make it a bit easier to find things. Thanx for the suggestion, anyone else have ideas to share??
    GW

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

I sort seeds by how many weeks before the last frost they need to be sown and those that get sown directly outside.

In a small notebook, I keep an alphabetical list of all seed names I've had and which week they are stored under. It works for me.

• alison
    18 years ago

Wow, there's two approaches I never even thought of!

I have shallow box divided into fifths. I file seeds more or less alphabetically by annual (2 spaces), perennial, vine, and herbs/veggies.

It's a logical order for me, and it makes it really easy to grab a good selection when I'm making up grab baggies for new sowers.

• dirtysc8
    18 years ago

I alphabetize by Latin name, but I have two systems. One is marked Winter Sowing, which is my stash. The other system is marked For Trade. gardenwitch, you're right that Latin names are often omitted in trades, but I find it helpful to look them up and mark the packet because often the common name used isn't one I know.

I was wondering how long everyone keeps their seeds.

• garden_witch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I did get all the perennials organized by family, didn't take as long as I thought it would =) But, now I have categories with just one packet here and there, lol! I know I will be adding more over the year, so that's ok =) Now I'm debating whether to put the annuals in there too. Or maybe just start over... Oh well, I still have lots of index cards left!

• cjsmith
    18 years ago

If you're very comfortable with computers--

I'm giving each batch of seeds I collect or receive a number (so the Lupine my DH brought for me is 0001, the pink columbine from the yard is 0002, etc). Then on the computer I database it with excel with columns for common name, latin name, and whatever else I would want to sort by--annual, height, sun, whatever the choices are. Column for number of pks made and number of pks sent out. The seeds are stored in numerical order. But now I can sort by whichever column I want so if I'm looking for hollyhocks in particular I can sort by the common name column and find them all together, and then find those numbers in the seed box easily. Or if I want to, say, sort by types (bush, vine, annual, perennial, whatever) I can then chose that column to sort by. So they're physically organized by order I got them in (or at least, order I assigned numbers to them) and they're virtually organized in whatever way I need at the moment. The biggest problems with this system are always having to have the computer around, and if I lose my file I'm hosed. But I back up often, at least once a week.

• lizinnh
    18 years ago

I have a shoebox. Not a great system, but it works. I have an inventory sheet of what is inside and any helpful tips or photos that have been sent. Perhaps you could have a few shoeboxes and label them. I am sure a local shoe store would donate a few. Or, just an excuse to buy new shoes. I'll bet the plastic drawer dividers would work well, too.

• little_dani
    18 years ago

This is a problem I am always trying to solve!

I have lots of seeds- it is a compulsion with me by now.

I divide them according to A-annual, P-perrenial, V-vine,
    Vg-vegetable, H-herb, and M-miscellaneous (like palm tree seeds!)

From these catagories, I can store them in any manner I choose. Usually I choose the easy way, and alphabetize them by the name I know them by. If it is latin, (and I am always trying to learn the latin) I use that. But if all I have is a common name, I use that.

I keep the list in my garden planner, and also on my computer. The computer makes it easy to add to the list in alphabetical order, and the hard copy in my planner makes it available when I am 'planning'.

I have so many seeds now, that I have 2 tall clear plastic chest type things on wheels, from WalMart. They have 3 deeper drawers on the bottom, and 4 shallow drawers on top. And I am contemplating converting a regular chest of drawers.....

I think it is a sickness, LOL. I don't want to be cured. I just want to be able to whine about it once in a while, but I really, really love my seeds!

The best part about them is the sharing! I am sending out 11 packages today. That makes me feel so good!

Janie

• nefertari
    18 years ago

Well, I am just getting started, but..... this is what I am planning on trying ----

I am going to put the seeds in an envelope that I can write info on and get a photo album with the plastic/vinyl inserts and slide two packets in each, one to keep one to trade. I am getting one for herbs, veggies, flowers, etc. For now I will just go by the common names, for example, Peppers, then sub-categorize with the peppers alphabetized. I will be able to keep the albums on my shelf with the spines labeled and will be able to rearrange inserts and expand/change my system as I grow. And they are easily portable and somewhat protected when I grab them to take with me. Here we have second hand stores with tons of these albums for a dollar and the dollar store has them as well. And I can even take pics and keep them with the seeds as a visual. Oh, oh --- I am expanding my system already!!! Is it a sign of things to come????

Not sure if this system would work for those of you with huge seed collections, but it might.

Nice to meet all of you. Love all of the ideas. Especially liked the pop bottle wall of water idea.

Take care!
    Diana

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions