Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radicchio seed

Posted by madroneb z8OR (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 21:09

I'm saving some radicchio seed this season from plants I dug up last year and wintered over, then planted out again in the spring.
They made plenty of flowers and seem to by drying down lately, but i'm wondering how long I should wait before pulling them and bringing them inside.
Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks,
Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radicchio seed

I am not familiar with your climate but I am wondering why they need to be pulled. Have the seeds set yet? And if so are they ripe or nearly ripe? Could you just leave them in the garden and collect the seed directly from there? Radicchio is hardier than lettuce and that can be left out to ripen thoroughly.

o
RE: Radicchio seed

Soon it'll start raining and won't stop much for the entire winter. If left outside, the seeds will likely rot.
I went ahead and pulled some and will let some others wait as long as possible.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here