Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stage_rat

Saving Blackberry Lily seeds

stage_rat
17 years ago

I just harvested some seeds, and I wonder if they need to be sown right away, similar to Tiger Lily seeds? (I know these are actually irises, but the seeds seem similar)

I found one source that said the seed must have the fleshy coat removed for storage--how would I do that? Fermenting, like with tomato seeds?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• alisonoz_gw
    17 years ago

Sown fresh, the germination rate is very high. But then I'm in a warmer climate, my part of Australia's equivalent to maybe zone 11 there, and we don't need to over-winter things and everything's grown out-doors, which I guess is not the same for you. But no they don;t have to be sown straight away, you can save them for starting at the end of winter, it's just that then the iris-like character comes in and they become a bit sporadic & unpredictable and can take some time. If keeping them for later, the flesh should be removed to avoid mould, sometimes just air drying for a couple of weeks will do and rub them between your fingers & the outer covering will have turned to paper. I haven't tried it but I suspect the fermentation treatment might actually trigger germination if your temps were warm enough. But wait for some better local knowledge before deciding.

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Belamcanda seeds can be stored safely until mid winter...then, if you want great germination rates, slip them into a zip lock bag with a bit of damp peat moss. Place the sealed bag into the fridge for about 6 weeks, remove and sow...

• magus
    17 years ago

The instruction is very curious, since blackberry seeds don't have any seed coats at all (beyond the normal, black outer shell, that is), most especially not a fleshy one, being members of the iris family. But, yes, they are quite easy to start from seed.

• grandmascuttings
    17 years ago

i jut got some in a seed swap and sadly most were crushed,but there is a hard brown pellet inside the black seed. i was wondering too if this was the fleshy part(black) to be removed. ive had luck with the tiger lillies sprouting fresh, but these arent doing any thing yet. still new to these.

• kamala
    16 years ago

I am trying to sprout some belamcanda (blackberry lilly) seeds in six packs on my dining table, next to a window. The Thompson and Morgan packet says they should sprout in 14-60 days. Anybody--Magus--know if this is a good method?

Sponsored
More Discussions