Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chocolate cosmos seed?

Posted by Romando 9, sunset 17 (amanda.azevedo@juno.com) on
Sat, Oct 8, 05 at 0:43

Hi! Yes, yes, yes, I've heard that this plant is considered sterile because it either doesn't produce seed or so little that it's not really worth it. However, I was deadheading mine, and thought I'd dry the spent blooms on a plate just to see what I'd come up with. I know that other cosmos seeds are little, long sticks with a slight curve, but on the plate with my chocolate cosmos heads, there many many little black balls, almost like oriental poppy (not breadseed) seeds. Like the size of petunia seeds. But black. What do you think? Any ideas?
Amanda 'romando'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chocolate cosmos seed?

I once purchased seed from ?(thompson morgan I think) -so I think it unlikely that it's sterile. The seeds were tiny and poppyseedlike. I put mine somewhere clever and never did manage to find/sow them....good luck they are really cool.

o

Woo hoo! That's awesome! So now I have an important trading bargaining chip, eh? lol
I'm so excited! This is great news! Now I'm gonna keep saving them, that's for sure!
Amanda 'romando'

thank you so much for the info, Suzinnia!

o

I have my doubts that they are seeds. Cosmos seeds (all species that I know of) are stick-like and curved (with a bit of variety in size), and all seeds of plants of the daisy family are variations of the stick-shape template. Some are flat and sometimes winged, some have parachutes, but they are never poppyseed-like. T&M has never offered seeds for there as far as I remember. Chocolate cosmos isn't technically sterile, since there is reportedly a second non-clone individual out there, but you have to find that one first.

o

Does anyone have a few chocolate cosmos seeds they would trade me for red sunflowers or giant purple zinnias?

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 18:45

Scheryl,
Chocolate Cosmos does not set seed(or if it does it is a very rare occurrence.) It must acquired in plant form.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here