Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonphase

seeds on russian sage and most salvias.

moonphase
17 years ago

I am having the hardest time finding seeds for these.The red and purple salvia are easy but salvia black and blue,lipstick,may night and a few others,well,I just can't figure out what is the seed.Please help.

moonphase

Comments (5)

• momamamo
    17 years ago

The link below may help. Maureen

Here is a link that might be useful: seed saving salvias

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Black and Blue Salvia is difficult to collect seed from...they generally fall off prior to seed production...

I have some with immature seed in them right now...not sure if they will be affected by the frost or not.

• ramazz
    17 years ago

Hi. I have a Black and Blue and have managed to get a few seeds from it. If the calyx doesn't have a hole in the bottom, it is possible that there is a seed or two inside. I just gently run my hand from the bottom of the stem to the top and some of the calyxes will fall off without being pulled. This was an experiment! I found some ripe seed as well as some empty shells - but no unripe seed in the ones that fell off easily. My plant is very large so this is a quick and dirty way to collect a few seeds.

I also have quite a few immature seeds that I doubt will ripen.

Becky

• alisonoz_gw
    17 years ago

See the post about wrapping something round the seed head.
    Salvia seed is small and fiddly to collect, not every spent flower has, and yes, often before you're ready, it rolls loose and is out.
    Salvia usually ripen from the borrom of the stem up, check the brownish spent flowers first. Those retained on the stem usually have something going on, the unfertilized flowers will fall off first.
    If a hybrid they may turn out anything.

• west_texas_peg
    17 years ago

Annette,

My DH found the seeds on the Russian Sage. I told him they had to be dropping seeds because I was finding babies in flowerbeds where none had ever been planted.

DH collected some of the 'wooly' blossoms and took apart the individual blossom...found a tiny seed (some have 2 seeds).

He collected enough I was able to send to someone I'd promised I would send IF successful. Said he was going to collect the rest of the wooly blossoms and put them in a paper bag and see if after further drying if they would 'fall' out without having to be removed.

He thinks the plant smells GREAT, it makes my nose itch! Told him if any seeds were to be collected and worked, he could do it!

I have found babies under MayNight but thus far have never found a seed.

Now someone please tell me if Blue Mist Spirea has seeds?

Peggy

Sponsored
More Discussions