Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pastvast

help with zinnia seeds(?)

pastvast
19 years ago

I just received seeds back from a swap. There were some really nice things in it. However, I have questions about the zinnia seeds. In fact, in one packet, I think I just have chaff. And in the other, I think there's a lot of unripe seeds. This is my first year collecting my own zinnia seed, so I don't yet know if what I collected will germinate (maybe I've collected the wrong stuff).

From reading other posts, zinnia seeds should look like relatively large arrowheads (~1/4" wide) and should be dark in appearance.

One packet, labeled zinnia- purple, is comprised entirely of very thin, cylindrical plant bits (supposedly seeds?) that are 1/4" long. I think this person mistakenly collected chaff (stamen?) thinking it was seed, due to the long thin appearance. What's your opinion?

The second packet, labeled zinnia burpeana giants, does have arrowhead shaped seeds in it. However, many are really thin and cream-colored. Are these unripe seeds? Because there's still some of what I had guessed were mature zinnia seeds, the creamy colored ones (possibly unripe) could just be chaff. However, if they're actually ripe seeds, and just a different color, then I've been tossing out lots of seeds from my own seed collecting efforts.

I'd appreciate those of you who've successfully collected and germinated zinnia seeds weighing in on the matter.

Thanks!!

-Stephanie

P.S. Maybe zinnia could be added to the FAQ? It seems lots of folks ask about it.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions