Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogwood seeds & Magnolia cones

Posted by bowdoin 7 SC upstate (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 8:21

Hi All,
I picked several seeds from my dogwood tree, have dried them out for a couple of weeks, and now what do I do with them? I'd like to try & plant some for next spring.
Also, got a magnolia cone with what looks like red sticky seeds on it. Any advice for trying to plant of these for spring time? I'm still kinda new to the south, and have good luck with just regular flower & vegetable seeds, but these being right from the tree, I feel I could use some advice here. Thanks! Happy growing! Emma in SC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogwood seeds & Magnolia cones

I've never collect seeds from them but I know for the magnolia there is a coating over the seeds which some people wash away with soapy water. http://home.att.net/~SpanishMoss/pods.html has some good info

o

Just a warning, magnolia seed coating/fruits can get quite smelly and incredibly oily when prying them off the seeds....

o

Your best bet is to plant them out in the garden in the fall. If i had dogwood seeds myself now i'd fill a port with dirt and throw them in and set it out in the snow and wait for spring. For detailed information see the link i've included.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Dogwood

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here