Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I toss these?

Posted by rj_hythloday 8A (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 25, 08 at 8:23

I have since found out about the value of letting seeds soak a few days to develop their own antibodies. I scooped out some acorn squash and canteloupe seeds rinsed them and let them dry. I got several of them to germinate and planted them but the developed early wilt, and cuke bugs. One is still going but wilting and probably going to get hit by frost soon.

So should I discard these seeds for some catalog seeds? I've also heard some things aren't going to grow true but will be a cross.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I toss these?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 26, 08 at 19:35

Hi,
What you did for the seeds, rinsing and drying, was absolutely fine for those types of seeds. The wilting you had/have came from events that happened after planting from bugs in the garden. It didn't have anything to do with the seeds you saved. There are some squash that are resistant to squash vine borers, but many types popular types are not resistant.
About being a cross or not coming true from the seed, so much depends on what variety of plant you took the seed from. If you took the seed from a grocery store cantaloupe(it sounds like this is what you did,) the cantaloupe was probably a hybrid and though you may very well cantaloupes, they might not be exactly like the cantaloupe you took seeds from. Te seed could be crossed with another type of melon and you will get strange looking fruit if the farmer was growing other types, but some farmers just grow huge fields of cantaloupe, so you could have your fruit be regular cantaloupe. I hope that made sense, lol.
The same is true for your squash. I do have to say, I've saved seeds(spaghetti squash) from a local farmer and had the squash come true. So it is possible to be successful with seed saved from stuff bought at the market.
If you saved the seeds from plant you bought and grew in your garden last year, I can explain all that to you.
Remy

o
RE: Should I toss these?

Thaks for the answers, they were both local grown. I'll give 'em another shot in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here