Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amaranthus seed saving

Posted by rocklandguy Z6, NY (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 17, 08 at 8:51

Can someone tell me when you can harvest the seeds from an amaranthus plant. I know they are clustered on the stem where the leaves come out. Do you have to wait until they are totally dried on the plant before you take them, or can you take them off and let them dry (before they fall off)? I tried finding postings on this, but the top of the page says they are missing old threads. Also, can these seeds be started indoors, under lights, similar to tomato plants, then transplanted outside when it warms up? Thanks! Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amaranthus seed saving

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 19:42

Paul, those seeds are easy to harvest. You can start early and just shake those seed heads over a bowl and see what falls out. By the time it's dry and brown, those seeds seem to be gone and will be enthusiastic volunteers next year.

Amaranthus for me like warm soil but can be winter sown. I like to wait and late winter sow them. I don't do indoor germinating.

o

Thanks bakemom, I'll try that! I keep checking them everyday and they don't seem to be drying out. It makes me think that I might just miss the seeds if they fall out. I was going to cut the stem off and put it in a bag, but didn't know if they would mature if I did that...

o

Hi, trudi wrote this selection from the seed saving FAQs. I found it true that seeds ripened over a period of time. I just kept shaking every day until I had what I wanted.

Hope it helps
Seedmama

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving amaranth

o

I put mine in a bag and let it dry then shook it. I got tiny little black seeds similar to celosia.

o

Now I am trying putting them in a pail, (or bag), stirring and shaking the pail everyday, then dumping what is on the bottom of the pail onto a piece of window screen over a white bowl, and all the seeds sift thru the screen. Very little chaf with the seeds. I'm doing it with Celosia and Coleus also. It seems to be working great! Thanks everyone for heading me in the right direction!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here