Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

Saving Profusion Zinnia seed

northforker
17 years ago

Does anyone know if profusion zinnia (small flowers,low, creeping and "profuse"!) is a hybrid? I've heard that saving seeds from hybrids doesn't work as the "babies" won't match the mother plant. I have discovered tons of ripe seed on my 2 cherry profusions this weekend and have plucked it and have it out on paper plates to dry, but I am wondering if the off-spring will be the same or different. The seed looks nice and ripe and is drying nicely. I am new to this seed saving thing and would just love not to have to buy this seed again next year!

Comments (16)

• Dieter2NC
    17 years ago

I did the same this weekend, I have lots of seeds. I have seen these seeds for sale so I assume they will grow true if not cross pollinated (do you have other zinnias growing nearby?)

• gw:nan-6161
    17 years ago

I do have some taller zinnia about 10 ft away.... I guess I'lll just try them and see what comes up!

• bitterwort
    17 years ago

I've been growing Profusion zinnias from seed saved from the mix (cherry, white, and orange) for several years now. I use them for a low border and they tend to be the only zinnias I've grown, so I haven't had a problem with cross pollination. The ones I grow now look to me just like the originals I grew from purchased seeds, same habit and same colors. I don't know that this would work for all hybrids (are we sure Profusion is a hybrid or just a named selection), but it does seem to work for Profusion.

• maineman
    17 years ago

Nan,

I heard that Profusion originated as an intergeneric hybrid, but apparently it has been stabilized as an open pollinated variety for commercial distribution.

MM

• gw:nan-6161
    17 years ago

Oh good - - I really like the way zinia profusion fills the low spaces in front of my garden and now I am feeling confident that the seeds will "work". How exciting that I do not have to order them!

Thanks to everyone for your helpful input!

• fairytalel
    17 years ago

I would love some profusion seeds I have tall red, orange, yellow etc zinnia seeds to trade and many other seeds.

• maineman
    17 years ago

Nan,

As a correction to my response on Oct 25, 06 at 0:33, I see that current seed catalogs list Profusion as an F1 hybrid. That's not to say that you can't save seeds from them, but the results may not come true. I plan to do just that to see what the results will look like.

MM

• carrie630
    17 years ago

I am not familiar with all of the garden expressions - but does F1hybrid mean that there's a possibility that the seeds I have harvested from my catalogue-bought profusions will possibly grow like the original profusions in a low mound but also may come out taller than usual? with less flowers per mound? Also, how is color affected with hybrid? Would my harvested profusion orange still be orange? more faded? (see I really don't
    know much about this, as you can see..LOL) But with the help of everyone out there, I sure am learning!

Carrie

• bitterwort
    17 years ago

Carrie, I believe F1 stands for "1st filial" (filial=child) which indicates that the seed is the first child generation from crossing two different parents (think son or daughter rather than great great grandchild). In theory, you might get any kind/color/height from the seed you saved from an F1 hybrid because you have no way of knowing what the parents looked like. And that's if the only kinds of zinnias around were the Profusions you planted... because another kind or color of zinnia might actually be one parent of the seed you harvested from your Profusion flower (a bee-made hybrid).

However, in reality, I've been saving and growing seeds from my white/cherry red/orange Profusion mix for the last few years and I always get white, cherry, and orange flowers on zinnias that are low and floriforous like the originals. Of course, I don't generally grow other zinnias, so both parents of the seed I harvest are likely to be Profusion descendants. It's worth a try to see what results you get. BTW: you can't generalize this concept to other types of plants or other zinnias necessarily because it all depends....

• carrie630
    17 years ago

Just noticed a wonderful response to my question -

I hope you get this thanks, bitterwort

Carrie

• bitterwort
    17 years ago

Glad you liked it. Thanks, Carrie!

Bitterwort

• viol
    12 years ago

I have read that Profusion zinnias produce no nectar so they are not good butterfly plants (or other pollinators)
    Can anyone tell me which zinnias are good for butterflies??
    Where can I find information on the amount of nectar flowers produce?

• zen_man
    12 years ago

viol,

I don't know whether Profusions have nectar or not, but most "regular" zinnias have a lot of nectar.

"Where can I find information on the amount of nectar flowers produce?"

The Internet is a vast source of information and, unfortunately, misinformation as well. You could try a google search. A more direct approach would be to find which flowers attract butterflies the best. Books and articles on butterfly gardens could help.

I grow zinnias as a hobby, and they attract a lot of butterflies for their nectar, and hummingbirds as well. The various bees show up to gather the zinnia pollen.

ZM

• HU-235801763
    2 years ago

A swallowtail butterfly has been in my profusion planting before i started to read this feed. Been there 15 min or so. i’m thinking nectar.

• zen_man
    2 years ago

I think you were right. The butterfly wouldn't be interested if there weren't any nectar.

ZM

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions