Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamalu_gw

Seed saving injury

lamalu
15 years ago

I'm new - been lurking - and you guys are an inspiration - so far this year I've collected seeds from several ornamental trees and perrenials, both at home and at work

But, Arrrgh! Yesterday I noticed the fruits on a viburnum lantanoides were ripe and ready - and decided to collect some on my lunch hour. Well I got so excited that while I was rushing down the stairs I somehow caught my shoe and pulled something in my right calf and ankle. Now I'm hobbling around and I still haven't got my seeds. It's just too funny that the common name for v.l. is Hobblebush!!

Anyone else with a story to tell?

Comments (3)

• lgslgs
    15 years ago

About three weeks ago I really strained every muscle in my body racing to finish digging my garden expansion before Hurricane Ike rains came in.

Of course, we didn't get a drop of rain after all of that. And on day two of aches I tripped off the edge of my porch and twisted my knee badly. It's just been a couple of days now that I've been able to walk without relying on a walking stick.

So this afternoon I was standing up digging through my big box full of envelopes of seeds I've harvested this year. Something moved fast a few feet away and I jumped. It was my walking stick falling over from where I had propped it. Wowie did I twist that knee again! Fortunately this was just painful and doesn't seem to be damage like the last time.

I guess Walkie the walking stick must have felt neglected today. He'll be joining me for my evening seed harvest. Hopefully we have no further misadventures.

The good thing is that whenever there's a gardening injury there's usually some other gardening that needs to be done that makes for really good physical therapy. :)

Lynda

• ollierose
    15 years ago

I'm always battling the latest case of poison ivy, so I tend to be itchy a lot! you can imagine the looks I get at work!

I'm also always walking around with bruises, cuts a scrapes. I guess I just get into a zone a don't pay much attention to it.

Then there's the slow movement way I have to get out of bed each and every day!!

No major injuries yet, but I guess all my little ones add up to one BIG ONE!

I hope you are both feeling better now!

LOL
    Diana

• ladycraft
    15 years ago

I have escape the poison ivy. Last year I had to make two trips to the Dr. to get rid of it! I think the sore elbow was more old age and over use. Somewhere in my travels outside I became friends with a tick. It attached itself to my back. I remember scratching something and must of dislodged it. Before I knew it I had a spot 6"-8" really inflamed. Dr treated aggressivly but didn't think it was Lime's. She just said Oh! My! The meds made me sick and had to stay out of the sun so it really limited my outside time. Winter will soon be here and we can rest up and dream about planting the seeds we did manage to collect. save, or trade! Things we do for our relaxation. Hope everyone is on the mend.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions