Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madhacktress

Growing for Seed Saving Garden

MadHacktress
10 years ago

Okay, I hope this is the right place for this, I haven't posted to this forum very often, but I've been reading for years.

In the past I've saved seeds from the easy-to-save group of vegetables, tomatoes, lettuce, beans, etc., but now I want to start growing out seeds for my own use from more difficult-to-save vegetables. I am thinking that it would be easier to just create and maintain a second garden on the property about 1500 feet away, and across a rather dense vein of trees, from my main garden, in which to grow the seed-plants. I know there are ways to grow out and save seeds in my main garden (which is about a quarter of an acre); but this year I grew about 120 different varieties of vegetables, and it just seems overwhelming to attempt to save seeds from them all, or even any significant percentage of them.

But with a separate garden I figured I could grow out a variety of each vegetable and collect and save seeds from them, rotating varieties each year.

What I'm looking for is insight on whether or not this is something that people have done, and whether they've succeeded, any/or whatever tips or hints or whatever else could be offered. I figured that if I made up a garden around 40' x 50' that would give me enough space to grow out a good population of each type of vegetable for seed saving; but if anyone has any warnings or suggestions I'd be more then happy to hear them.

I apologize for my longwindedness.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions