Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezes and seed collecting

Posted by ollierose 7b - Atlanta, GA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 27, 08 at 11:27

Well, they are calling for freezing weather this week here in Atlanta, GA.

I'm waiting on a TON of seeds to ripen, so I'll be curious to see what I have left viable after the cold weather.

Anyone else worried/curious about seed collecting as the weather gets colder and colder?

Diana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezes and seed collecting

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 27, 08 at 20:28

Hi Diana,
I don't worry at all. : )
Many plants seeds will continue to ripen after freezing weather. Some tender plants though do not have frost proof capabilities and those developing seeds will be no good since the ripening process will be stopped in its tracks.
Also, collecting ripe seeds in the dead of winter is fine to do. You just have to make sure they are take out of plastic if you use plastic bags to collect outside once inside even if loose, because as the seed come to room temp, moisture can occur, and it needs to evaporate off the seeds.
Remy

o
RE: Freezes and seed collecting

Thanks Remy! I'll just keep an eye on them to see what looks as it should when ripe. I'll miss seeing these beauties every day and look forward to planning my gardens with more evergreen/winter plants for next year!

I store all my seeds on paper plates or paper towels for drying and transfer them to paper envelopes once they are dry.

I only put them in plastic when I know they are completely dry and ready to be mailed out. Otherwise they are mailed in paper envies.

I hope that many of my plants continue to produce viable seed so I can share with others on GW! They did change the forecast slightly so we are only looking at 34 for the low temp (fingers crossed!).

I've put all potted plants on my screen porch, but hope I ddn't make a mistake in not covering my patchouli plant. It's near the house and surrounded by some tall hardy herbs. It's just starting to form flower buds, stands 3 feet tall and is 2 feet in diameter.

Maybe the Atlanta climate - dry months in late spring and early summer, July rains and then dry fall - contributed to the delay in blooming?

:)
Diana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here