Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_witch

I chickened out =(

garden_witch
18 years ago

I walked up to the bank esterday, and purposely walked nearly a mile out of my way to check on some gorgeous blue morning glories. These were not the typical heavenly blue, but lighter-than-sky-blue-almost-white flowers with a darker blue "star." The flowers were all gone, and the vine was covered in pods, about a third of them brown! So, no traffic coming, I know these ppl are at work (no, I'm not a stalker, lol! I just noticed them leaving on my way home from work,) not a soul in sight, I chickened out! @#!$%@#!!!

So, I snagged (more stuff I don't need) a bit of miscanthus a block over, and went home and pillaged the back yard. *sigh* I will have to try again this weekend =)

Comments (11)

• drippy
    18 years ago

Repeat after me: "It is my civic duty to deadhead so that this plant does not self-seed, thereby becoming an invasive annoyance..."

• garden_witch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It is my civic duty to deadhead so that this plant does not self-seed, thereby becoming an invasive annoyance

Ok, I'm sworn in now =) I will have to take a walk tomorrow, early morning, when everyone in town is "sleeping it off" ;)

• jim_6b
    18 years ago

Just go inside the bank tommorrow, tell the manager that the flowers outside are beautiful and you noticed they were full of seed pods and was wondering if you could have some. I do it all the time and have never had anyone tell me no. Something else I do is collect peoples bagged leaves in the fall. If you want to get some funny looks, go to someones house, knock on their door and ask "Can I have your leaves?". When I tell them that I mulch my garden and make compost with them they will either tell me to take all I want or tell me that they have allready promised them to someone else. Don't be afraid to ask. I have met a lot of wonderful people this way.

• little_dani
    18 years ago

I agree with Jim. Few people will tell you no, especially since few people see the beauty in the seeds. They want flowers. Just ask. They can't eat you.

But if you 'steal' them (and we all know it isn't stealing, LOL), they might get the idea you are trying to pull one over on them, and will never give you permission to harvest the seeds.

Janie

• gldno1
    18 years ago

I took seeds from a hibiscus that was growing on the parking lot of our local (very) shopping center. I was in the beauty shop and mentioned it to one of the girls and she said take em! and I did. I am sure these are maintained by nursery services and noone is going to save these seeds......I did something else a bit more daring recently.

I pinched a gorgeous, unusual cutting from a coleus growing at a very famous theme park. I surrepticiously carried it in my pocket in a wet paper towel home. I theorized that it was an annual and would soon be dumped. I wanted another one but couldn't find it again after not taking it the first time......this probably isn't a good thing to do....if everyone did it........nothing would be left. There, confession is good for the soul.

• jim_6b
    18 years ago

I'm sorry, I thought you saw the flowers at the bank. Well, either way I always ask the store or homeowner for permission.

• garden_witch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pinching cuttings at a theme park? Guilty?? How much did you pay to get in? You probably should have brought a wagon and a shovel =) Oh, and plants grow back! Unless it was behind a fence with a sign clearly stating "DO NOT PINCH THE COLEUS!" I wouldn't feel a bit guilty =oP

Ok, I gots some morning glories to snatch, see ya later =)

• Robin282
    18 years ago

Hello,
    If you don't get some seed pods from that morning glory, I grew some that looked as you described. I have collected the seeds, and would love to trade or give you some.
    Robin

• Hollywog
    18 years ago

If that famous theme park happens to be in FL...I have seen them out pulling up the annuals (and some perennials,too) and tossing the whole kit and caboodle into the back of a truck to be disposed of. They do this on a regular basis as they change the landscaping for the seasons or the 'celebration' of the month (week? day?) down there. Don't feel guilty, for heaven's sake! If my husband would have slowed down enough, I probably would have jumped from our moving vehicle and hijacked the landscapers truck, screaming "SAVE THE PLANTS!!!" as I drove away.

• cindy_newgardener
    18 years ago

I too just came home (to chilly Connecticut) from that unnamed famous theme park in Florida with Cleome seeds in my pocket, much to the horror of my husband (who felt a little "Goofy" standing there watching his wife deadhead the flowers).

• mammaofive
    18 years ago

Be CAREFUL!!! Be VERY CAREFUL!!! I wrote a post some months back....sorta confession if you will and I was BLATENTLY FLOGGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had found a very uncared for shrub at a local elem school during a baseball game. I plucked a few small stems to "root".

OH MY LORD!!!!!! I shall NEVER confess to thievery again!!!!! I would still be doing HAIL MARY's if some of those people had their way with me!!!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR "LIL STEAL" SEEMS SWEETER WHEN YA GET EM ON THE SLY!!!!! :)

I NOW GO BACK INTO HIDING IN FEAR OF THE SEED THIEF POLICE!!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions