Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice for growing Iris from seed

Posted by mgood4u z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 05 at 12:28

I got some Iris fulva seeds and I want to try to germ. them. Anyone have any advice for germ. these? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advice for growing Iris from seed

• Posted by Dudleya CA z8 mendocino (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 24, 05 at 14:29

Habitat: Moist areas in wetlands and along bayous.
Bloom: Mid April in Zone 7/8.
Description:
Flowers: d10 cm, drooping (pendant), typically orange-red viened darker also yellow and violet
Stem: h 50-90 cm, erect, nearly straight, flowers in axils
Leaves: h 45-80 cm, w 1.5-2.5, drooping tips
Rhizome: w 2 cm, greenish, bare, 12 cm annual growth
Capsule/Seeds: w 2.75, l 5 cm, green at maturity / seeds corky
2n = 42
Cultivation:
Sun: Full but will tolerate some shade, afternoon shade in warmer climes
Soil type: Neutral to acid, lots of humus
Soil moisture: Moist but not wet. Mulch to retain moistureand protect rhizomes from sun burn.
Feeding: Heavy feeder, feed at onset of growth in fall andspring.
Hardiness: hardy
Seed germination: Plant seeds before they are allowed dry.
Transplant: Easy in fall or spring after bloom
Comments: Generally easy. Will grow in "border garden" conditions with additional water.

Also...

The seed pods should be carefully cut open and the seeds planted about 3/4 inch deep in pots of garden soil or potting mix. If the pots are kept moist, the seeds should begin to germinate with the first cool nights in October or November. The seedlings can be planted into the garden in early spring. Most can be expected to bloom the following spring.

Good luck they are beautiful. Get them growing and trade some seeds with me in the futre.
Brian

o
RE: advice for growing Iris from seed

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 26, 05 at 7:48

I have not grown this variety, but I have noticed iris seeds that have been planted or fallen from my summer blooms are starting to sprout. I have been seeing iris sprouts all over the place. The October sprouting time probably applies to other varieties also

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here