Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No seeds from my white black eyed susan vine!

Posted by noticklish z5/6 CT (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 04 at 12:44

I grew a pack of seed in a pot and it flowered well with some flowers having a dark eye and others a green one, but no seeds this year! Anyone have any ideas why this happened?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No seeds from my white black eyed susan vine!

I had the same problem with mine. I moved it to a spot where there were lots of other flowering plants, and it seemed to do better. My idea was that maybe it is just not as attractive to pollinators as other plants unless it was just handy. I have the white one, blushing suzie, sunrise surprise & the regular. The white & blushing suzie have gone on to make seeds, Sunrise surprise which is off by inself has never made seeds. By the way, I kept one inside last winter, it does nicely in a sunny window & will bloom all winter.

o

• Posted by Mammie Southern IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 2, 05 at 21:14

I grew it for the first time last summer. What a fun plant! It was a nonstop bloomer.

Those seeds are hard to spot so you may have just missed them. I had to really hunt to find any.

o

I have a 12 year old black eyed Susan vine I planted from seed, but never tried to collect seeds from it. How would I find them? What do they look like? Are they tiny? On what part of the plants and what time of year would I try and harvest them? I live in Lakeland, Florida. Mine are a yellowy pumpkin color with black centers. They're blooming over a trellis right now. Winter hasn't gotten to them yet.
Thanks, Cheryl

o

Cheryl,
Maybe this will help you a little, found it while researching :-)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/seedsave/msg1001280012270.html?4

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here