Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria and Styrex Japonica

Posted by MzMolly65 none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 13:17

Walking through a public garden and couldn't help myself.

The Styrex Japonica littered the ground so I filled my pockets.

The Wisteria .. just one pod hanging there calling to me. I feel guilty now but at the time I just snatched it.

I'm afraid it's not ripe and I snatched too early :-( I don't even know what kind of Wisteria it is. I'll have to go back in the spring and see the flowers. Maybe I'll go back this week and look for other pods that I didn't see. I could be more polite and ask permission from the gardener to gather the seeds when they are ripe instead of being a sneaky snatcher.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria and Styrex Japonica

I bought some Chinese Wisteria seeds online and I have been having the most difficult time getting them to grow! They rot easily. Any suggestions? PLEASE!

This post was edited by Lenised on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 14:25

o

I'm afraid I'm no help at all when it comes to Wisteria. This is my first time trying them from seed and I haven't planted them yet.

The Styrex japonica have been in the fridge, wrapped in damp towel since late December. When I checked them a few weeks ago some of the seeds had mold on them so I picked those out. The rest still look good.

I was just thinking today I should go buy some starter pots and get all my seeds going.

o

Try letting the wisteria pods sit for a long time. Like 3 or 4 weeks. I took some wisteria pods when they were green and I did this, and they still produced viable seeds!

:)

I left mine on a window sill and just made myself forget about them. I had to crack them open with pliers though!! But the seeds germinated within days of me sticking them into some dirt! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here