Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purple coneflower seeds saving

Posted by chueh 7 GA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 07 at 13:38

Hi, I am trying to save purple coneflower seeds from faded flowers, yet I don't know which part is the real seed. Please look at the pic:

Image A. I shook or pulled the spiky needles out. They have both the needle parts and the black stuff together.
Image B. I separated the black stuff and only left the needle parts there.
Image C. The black stuff. I think that those ARE the seeds???
Image D. The black stuff with a thin membrane around.
Please tell me which part is the seed. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purple coneflower seeds saving

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 21, 07 at 22:12

Hi,
It is none of the above. You should be finding light brown cone shaped things like in this photo.
http://echinacea.umn.edu/images/achenes.jpg
The brown around the edge is not always so dark.
If you don't find any, finches may have eaten them.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Echinacea Page on the Seed Site

o

Ok take a look at your picture a and you see the little white "coneish" looking things that are not in the picture B. Those are the seeds. The long black things are chaff. HTH

Paula

o

In picture A and D, you have a black stick and a small tan/brown triangle/cone shaped thing...that is the seeds. You should take off the stick at the top. Coneflower seeds are about tannish to brown in colour and do not look like cosmos seeds

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 25, 07 at 19:20

Lol! I'm an idiot. I didn't realize your pic extended beyond the screen, sorry.
Origami is correct. The cone shaped parts in D are seed, and Origami has better eye sight than me for pic A, but I can now see a coneshape attached to another shape in A.
Remy

o

Thank you all. My pictures are not too good to identify anyway. I could not get as close as I wanted to, but it just got so blurring. Thank you for all your helps.

o

*&$#)(@(#$!!

Guess which part I threw out and which part I kept. Wish I would have seen this thread 3 months ago.

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 13, 09 at 20:13

Need echinacea seed? Email me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here