Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you collect seeds after a hard frost?

Posted by dkotchey z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 13:54

Are seeds still viable after a hard frost? I some perennials I haven't had a chance to collect from yet. And I have a few annuals still blooming (dragon wing and bayou begonias and marigolds).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you collect seeds after a hard frost?

• Posted by Rosa 4-ish CO Rockies (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 31, 05 at 9:13

You bet. And I've been known to collect on walks midwinter.
Never a problem.

o

• Posted by Nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 1, 05 at 12:11

Many seeds need a freeze to finish ripening. You can collect as long as there are seeds to be found, sometimes knee deep in snow. lol

o

Hi,

I would just like to clarify. I had annuals still blooming when a freeze hit and the plants blackened and turned to mush. They hadn't set seed yet, so there won't be seed from them. Well..correction...they did set some seed which I collected but the rest of what was blooming won't set seed, they are done.
Ageratum Blue Horizon I am talking about.

What about cosmos? The flowers had just stopped flowering and not sure if there will be seed there or not?

My moonflower vine pods turned to mush with the freeze.

Adam

o

Don't the flowers need to be pollinated? So seeds are set, but they're not pollinated because the pollinators are not around. How does this work? It's like saving seed from a houseplant, isn't it?

o

Hi, looking for reassurance that frozen-a-lot marigold seeds will be good. I sell seeds sometimes, and wouldn't want to sell duds. Now that spring appears to be somewhere around the corner, I have to finish getting my gardens in order. I found gazillions of marigolds still holding their seeds in. Last year we weird, went sort of straight from summer to winter. First really hard, killed everything frost was Nov. 10 here and I'm in zone 5! So never got all the fall cleanup done, as it went right from growing to snowing.

Marcia

o

For flowers and other "exposed" seeds, yes if they were fully developed. For vegetables seeds - probably not. Seeds need to be somewhat if not fully dry before a hard freeze or they wont germinate. If you have a tomato in your freezer and you scoop out those seeeds they wont germinate.

o

• Posted by nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 2, 06 at 12:28

I have to politely disagree about the tomatoes. They self seed like maniacs in my garden after laying mushy all winter in frozen Nebraska.

If Mother Nature didn't design seeds to survive and grow in areas that freeze, much of the world would be barren of vegatation. True tropicals are another story since they are not genetically designed to grow after a freeze.

o

I have to agree with Nurmey. We have tons of tomatoes come up each year. I guess that is what happens when I don't clean my garden out during the fall.

Stacie

o

Yes, I get tomato volunteers every year from fallen fruit that has frozen and thawed throughout the winter. This year I was happily surprised to find that my corn that spent the winter on the stalk still germinated. I accidentally left all my lovely purple corn outside over the winter (some on the front porch and some still in the garden) and wanted to test it before I gave up on it or tried to plant it. Several seeds grew shoots really well and I am impressed.

Marcia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here