Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

sweet autumn clematis

proudgm_03
16 years ago

Where are the seeds? I saved the little fluffy puffs, thought they were the seeds but they weren't.

Comments (6)

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi,
    If you've got fluff without a swelled attachment to make it look like a tad pole(like Beth Curry in photo,) your flower had no fertilization. In the pic I took, the whole seed head show how there can be fertilized (to the left) and unfertilized seed(to the right), sometimes there are none fertilized, sometimes all seem to get fertilized.
    {{gwi:369780}}
    Remy

• phyl345
    16 years ago

remy .... what great comparison pictures! ... i don't have sweet autumn climatis ( i wish i did ), but just this afternoon i was trying to figure out which seed pods were fertile on a bunch of my other type 111 climatis ... would the above pictures (more or less) apply to most climatis?
    thanks, phyl

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Phyl,
    Yes it more or less applies. The fluffiness of the tail will vary. The color may vary. The size of the fertilized seed head will vary, but it will definitely have some size compared to the tail and be unbendable/unbreakable.
    Some varieties develop lots of fertile seeds. Others have hardy any or none. I'm not sure if it is because of genetics, if some flowers more are attractive to insects, or other factors.
    Remy

• friesfan1
    16 years ago

Hi Remy,

My brother has these babies growing all over his yard.
    Last year I dug up 4 [late september] and all survived.
    He lives in eastern KS.

This year I dug up about 8 of these for co-workers.
    At 17-19$ per plant at stores, how could I pass up
    digging up free plants for friends!

Now that I know what to look for in fertile seeds, I can't
    wait to go see how mine did this season.

I really hope that I got some germinated seeds. The foilage
    and the flowers are worth the wait at
    the end of the season. I have some more fence that needs
    a vine :-)

Mary
    z 5b KS

• teri1939
    16 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to all of this. I just signed up and when I got to this site I ran outside and pulled off what I think I need to get seed from my jackmanii clematis.

Thanks so much for the wonderful turorial with pictures and all!!

Regards,

Teri

ps

How does one add a picture to his post?

• teri1939
    16 years ago

Hi Remy,

It's Teri again. I just went to your page and your album(not sure yet exactly where I was) and I want to tell you that your pictures are much better and more realistic than any of the catalogs or web sites!!

I will definitely be trying to ride on your coatails whenever I can without being too much of a pest.

Teri

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions