Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cape Fuchsia

Posted by redthreaddiy 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 29, 10 at 14:24

I have the seed pods. This is a perennial fuchsia so there aren't any berries as described in other fuchsia posts. I know the seeds are ripe because the stem is brown and dry, but when I crack open the pods, I don't know what the seed is. Are they microscopic or something? I can't figure out what I'm looking for. I searched google for half hour but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cape Fuchsia

Cape Fuchsia's are Phygelius and are not related to actual Fuchsias.
They are shrubby members of the Scrophulariaceae family and are more closely related to Penstemons and Snapdragons. The seeds and seedpods are closer to those in appearance.
I don't have Phygelius capensis, which I believe is more commonly grown, but I have Phygelius aequalis and the seeds are small (about the size of a snapdragon seed, or a bit smaller) and brown. When the seed pods are completely ripe they should fall right out when you crush them.
I hope that's helpful.
Alana

o

Although it is fun to grow plants from seed, if you want to increase the number of Phygelius you have quickly it is much quicker to pull off the offshoots/runners at the base. They spread like crazy, especially P capensis.

o

I tried looking for the seeds again today. I have Penstemon seeds so I tried to compare them to those, but still nothing. I'm keeping the pods and all of the crumbled ones in hopes that I will find them some day.

I would be more than happy to send ANYONE a few seed pods, if they are willing to take a close-up photo of what the seeds look like and hopefully describe them. Any takers?

o

redthreaddiy, there is the possibility that the seed pods leaked all or most of the seeds out of the pods before you got to them if the pods were brown...just a thought.
Alana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here