Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worth saving Dahlia and Aster seeds?

Posted by greenbug zone 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 25, 08 at 14:24

Hi All,

Today I went out to cut the top off of my Dahlias so as to start the process of winterizing the tubers. We had our first frost on Monday.
I noticed many of the seed pods had matured and were holding seed!!
I feel tempted to collect them but not sure if it is worth since these Dahlias had been started from a seed packet bought at Walmart and I remember they were the Hybrid kind.
Is it worth saving the seed and planting them?
I also have some dried aster plants with some dried flowers on them. I am not sure which part is the seed and what I should collect.
Any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worth saving Dahlia and Aster seeds?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 26, 08 at 19:42

Hi Greenbug,
The dahlia seeds could make interesting babies and might be worth saving. You might want to ask over on the Winter Sowing forum if anyone has done that with dahlias and what their results were. There are a lot of seed savers/swappers that frequent that forum.
The asters(I'm assuming annual aster, Callistephus chinensis) have sort of flattish gray rice or orzo shaped seed mixed in with all the chaff in the base of where the flower was.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here