Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Yucca Seed Sprouted Inside Packet

Posted by manda3 8a (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 15:09

I collected some Red Yucca seed back in September and again in October. I opened up the September packet and found that half the seeds had sprouted and possibly died (I don't know). None sprouted in the October one. And I found another pod, opened it up, and they were already sprouted inside the pod.

My question is, can they still be viable? I'm thinking not. Also, is this a normal thing for these guys. This is my first year saving seeds. Thanks so much. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Yucca Seed Sprouted Inside Packet

I am just guessing here. It sounds like you did not let your seeds dry completely before storing them. For the ones that didn't sprout may be viable and you may be able to plant the ones now that have sprouted. Though like I said that is just taking a guess.

o

Many of the wild plants in the deserts of Southern Arizona had seed that sprouted almost immediately. I seem to recall that some of these were Yucca. It has been a long time since I lived there but the account in the OP doesn't strike me as strange.

o

Now that you mention that albert, I remember during the summer I was shelling some black eyed peas. I simply rinsed them and left them in the strainer overnight to drain. You know the next morning several had actually germinated like that, lol. I was dumb founded, but it didn't stop me from cooking them, fresh black eyed peas are gooood.

o

Thanks.

Heh. I can't really tell which ones sprouted and which ones didn't. I pulled off most of the brown strings before I realized what it meant. Anywho, hopefully I'll have enough Yucca for my new bed behind the garage this spring. Can't wait to see that line of red. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here