Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oleander Seeds

Posted by west_texas_peg z7 TX (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 6, 06 at 15:28

I have a Pink Oleander that has seed pods. Must I wait for them to turn brown and split before I harvest them? Seems when I wait to that stage I lose them.

Peggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oleander Seeds

Yes you are best to wait till they are fully ripe if you can.
If by "lose them" you mean the pod breaks and the seed floats away, put a loose rubber band round the pod, or tie a little garden twine round the middle of the pod, with just a tiny bit of slack. Keep an eye out and when brown and starting to show signs of splitting, you can remove the pod without the seed having been shed. Add a bit of bright coloured wool or something to remind you to check occasionally.
They may not grow true to colour from seed.
Handle carefully, all parts of Oleander are poisonous.

o

Thanks for the reply!

I finally broke one open to see how ripe it was; it wasn't LOL so I have promised the person I will send when they are ripe.

I'm very careful when handling oleanders and moonflower.

Peggy

o

This weekend I found a pod on the ground at the base of the oleander, it had opened and the seeds were starting to take wing. I brought it in and it is safely in an envelope now!

Peggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here