Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Hibiscus Seeds

Posted by lboyce Z5NY (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 6, 06 at 16:35

Can someone please tell me how to identify hibiscus seeds? After the flowers fall off, I've been collecting the "thing" that surrounded the flower but all I see is what looks like where the flower was..for the life of me...I cannot find the seeds. As you can see...any help sure would be appreciated!

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Hibiscus Seeds

You have to leave it on the plant for a while. A pod will develop where the flower was. I usually let it fall to the ground as it is big enough to see easily. Then I dry the pod and then crack it open for the seeds. A lot of times the pod falls off the plants before the seed is ready though.

JP

o

JP...thanks so much for your reply. After the flowers fall off and the part where the flower grew out has fallen off, I've been looking inside that for some seeds or anything! I usually wait til it is dark brown but still no seeds. Hmmm...I've had these two plants for about 4 years now but have never been able to find any seeds. I'll keep looking. Thanks again. At least I know I'm looking in the right place!

Linda

o

My hardy hibiscus develops pods on the plant that will open up and reveal the black seeds inside. I have already harvested the spring bloom seeds and am waiting for the fall bloom seeds to ripen.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 15:24

Trudi has this photo of Hardy Hibiscus seed pods in the FAQ:

o

the only time i have ever found seeds from this plant is when it buds, and the bud does not flower but instead dries up in it's bud form, still unopened and even then i couldn't pull the dried bud off the plant it had to fall off and that's how you know the seeds are mature if you shake the pod and you can hear them rattling around in there they are little dark brown almost black round seeds round like a ball not flat i have grown seven new plants from one dead bud!. That has been my experience hope it helps

jules

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here