Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
radish seed pods not crisp?

Posted by tomatobob_va7 z7 VA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 17:19

I saved a lot of radish plants that had gone to seed this year and dried them in my garage. Now I'd like to extract the seeds from the pods but it's not so easy. The pods are not dry and crunchy, but more kind of leathery-crumbly. Extracting the few seeds from each pod (3-4) would take too long.
Any good ideas out there? I'm thinking I might strip off the pods and grind them in a food processor, using the plastic blade. What do you think? Thanks for the advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: radish seed pods not crisp?

Before you put your plants in the garage (assuming you uprooted them out of the ground) were the seed pods brown and crispy prior??

From what I have read on radish, the stalks you can just break off and open the pods with your hand. For the other ones that do not open when rubbed you can use a rubber mallet. Yes there is only a small amount of seeds in each pod.

Here is a link, radishes are the 4th one down.

Here is a link that might be useful: SeedSave. org

o
RE: radish seed pods not crisp?

leave the seeds on the plant ,in the garden ,until the plant dies on its own .Then harvest the brown dried pods as you would peas in a pod . It takes a while .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here