Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just recieved some canna seeds

Posted by cmoejr KY Zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 16, 06 at 17:43

I ordered some seeds last week on-line from a company called Trade Winds Fruit. I just recieved these seeds today. When I ordered them I just ordered 1 of seven different types. No where on the site could I find how many seeds were in a pack. I took a chance figuring that I would recieve just one seed (2 at the most) of each, but what the heck. I was impressed when I got them. 1 pack had 8 seeds, 1 pack had 20 seeds and the other packs all had 10 seeds. Each pack that you order is only a $1.25 and $.25 postage for each pack. I think its a good deal.
Heres the link http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just recieved some canna seeds

I nicked some of these seeds and then soaked them for 2 days. There were two of them that started sprouting little nubs on them. I now have them planted in little 3 inch pots under some lights. We'll just wait and see what they do.

o

Hi cmoerjr,

I sowed canna seeds last year and had great luck. One of them did rot after I planted it into a 3 inch pot because I had watered it too much. Otherwise they did good. They were small this year but one did bloom. I think I should have started them earlier. So you were smart to do so.

Thanks for the website. I ordered dwarf cannas and asparagus fern seeds. :)

o

dkotchey, I have never grown any canna from seed so when I ordered them I thought that I would try to get some going just to see how hard they were going to be. I soaked 2 of each type that I ordered that makes 14 seeds. All 14 germinated last week. Now I have 14 canna plants in 3" pots that I either have to try to keep until May, or put them to rest and start them around Feb. I still have plenty of seeds. I don't know how long they would live if I let them get root bound and try to keep them small!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here