Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alyssum

Posted by Nemophila z5 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 05 at 17:55

Can anyone give me tips on saving seed from alyssum? I still have alot of it blooming, but I am stumped as to how to harvest seed from it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alyssum

I have had better luck saving seed from the perennial alyssum, but the principle is the same. The seeds are teeny flat disks that line the stem where the flowers were. The disks ripen and fall out leaving the little round frames where they once sat. It's one seed per frame I think.

Does that make sense? The trick is trying to shake them off when they are ripe before they fall off. The good news is that the annuals seem to self sow nicely and I got repeat performers cropping up here and there near the spot they were originally planted.

This is a good question - perhaps I will stroll out there tomorrow night and see what's shakin. The other good news is that germination is quite high and they really winter sow well, so several dozen should get you a nice crop.

Good luck.

o

"The trick is trying to shake them off when they are ripe before they fall off."

I figured that was what was going on! It seems like the seeds (or what I had assumed was the seeds) are going from green to gone. I think I will figure out something to put beneath them to catch the seeds and see if that will help. I really appreciate the info!

o

Great idea on the catch-basket! I will try that too, thanks.

o

If you look beneath a perennial alyssum, there are scads and scads of dropped seeds. When you touch them, they just drop like confetti.

I checked my alyssum this afternoon and it seems it's going to be a little more elusive to gather seeds from the annual. Looks like it's going to be a labor of love for you guys. Go for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here