Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
after the first frost

Posted by columbusgardener 6 Central OHIO (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 07 at 18:28

I have never tried to save any seeds but this year I think I would like to give it a try. The problem is I have a garden that has not stopped blooming and now there has been a hard frost. When or how do I know when the seed heads are ready to be harvested?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: after the first frost

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 29, 07 at 22:34

Hi,
Are you sure you've had a hard frost there and not a light frost? A light frost, when the air get down to freezing, will kill tender plant foliage, but hardier perennials will still be ok. A hard frost it gets a bit colder and kills everything.
Anyway, so much depends on the plants you want to collect seed from. You may have seeds that are ripe and ready to pick out there. Tender annuals would have needed to form their seeds before the frost. Anything after freezing will not mature because the plants are pretty much dead. Hardy perennials though can still keep on maturing seeds.
Seed heads normally change color and become dry as they mature. Seeds will go from green or white to tan, brown or black when ripe in general. You can not pick them early. They must ripen on the plant to be viable. The seeds also are hard and will not break or smoosh easily when ripe.
If you need more specific answers about a plant, do a search and if you don't find the info, please start a new post about it.: )
Do not put seeds in plastic right away for storage. Seeds may seem dry, but still have tiny amounts of moisture that take a week or more to dissipate.
I hope this helped a bit,
Remy
Oh I just remembered! The Seed Site has pics of lots of seeds plus other info.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Seed Site

o
RE: after the first frost

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 30, 07 at 17:40

Had a light frost here in UA in the front yard only. What plant are you considering?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here