Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How soon is too soon on Sweet Autumn clematis?

Posted by roflol Z6 MO (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 07 at 18:35

First year to flower for me, and mmmmmmm-mmmmmm-good! The seeds are set now but very green. I'm noting that some of them have dried fluff tails and some have dropped off - but none of the seed heads are brown as I have seen in pictures, all are still green! Is it too early to pick the seeds and let them dry off the vine so they are saved and viable (and not wasted on my neighbor's lot, who will just poison them anyway should they come up!), or are these doomed if they don't turn brown before falling off anyway?

Terri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How soon is too soon on Sweet Autumn clematis?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 2, 07 at 19:46

Hi Terri,
Resist the temptation to pick them, lol! The ones falling off may be seeds that didn't get fertilized. One that aren't fertilized are tiny and not plump at the base. I wish I had a pic! I'll try to remember tomorrow while it is light out after I get home from work. Anyway, one thing you can do is bag them. Those little sheer party favor bags work nice, old pantyhose too.
Remy

o

Thanks, Remy! I know what you mean by being plump at the base... I didn't consider that the "fallen ones" might have been infertile. I'll have to look around and see if I find more of those still hanging on just to see what they look like on the vine. Typically when have you harvested yours?

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 3, 07 at 19:56

Hi Terri,
Ok, I'm glad you know what I mean. Often people save the seeds not realizing that sometimes they never got fertilized. It is odd too, some varieties seem to have lots of ripe seeds while others have hardly any. I just collected seeds of one variety that blooms fairly early. I'm watching another that blooms a bit later. They are almost ready. My sweet autumn is just a baby, so I don't know about it in particular.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here