Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any trick to collecting Coleus or succulent seeds?

Posted by CamarilloJeff SoCal sunset23 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 05 at 18:58

I have several Coleus and some succulents that are flowering (mostly Crassula Perforata & C. Falcata). Is there anything in particular I should know about collecting these?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any trick to collecting Coleus or succulent seeds?

I had a very easy time collecting the seeds off of my coleus this year (my first year saving them). I simply waited until the flower started to turn brown, then ran it through two of my fingers while holding an envelope under it. Most of the seed fell off into my hand, the rest into the envelope. I did this every few days until the flower was completely dead and ended up with lots of seed this year.

o
RE: Any trick to collecting Coleus or succulent seeds?

collecting seeds from coleus-
I pinch the bottom of the stem and gently slide my way up taking off all the empty bell lookin things LOL
then... since they are so small
check out the shaker dechaffer hubby made for me
seperating seeds is now a wiz

Here is a link that might be useful: Handy Dandy shakers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here