Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory white seeds??

Posted by DrPurple QC (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 19:09

Hey guys. This is my first post here and it is a pleasure to be a part of such a large and wonderful community.
I will save my introduction for another forum (I imagine there is an introduction forum somewhere on here).
My question here is.. I grew morning glory vine flowers (mixed varieties) this year in the backyard. They did amazing. Climbing up and through my cedars and root balls and brick wall.. Beautiful turn out. I am saving seeds this year so I can plant them next year from my stock (YES I read the http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/seedsave/2003111853005623.html and did a search). The thing is that this year I found many beige/tan seeds (about 40% of my harvest this year was beige/tan seeds so far.. I still have another few weeks of harvest). Before you say they are premature/not ripe please read. I did a random test with some beige seeds and they SPROUTED (never mind germination) within 2 days. SO... they ARE viable after all (too many people telling me they are unready/premature seeds). The vine within 4-5 days already has 2 sets of leaves.
What do you think this is all about? Everywhere I read it says the seeds should be black. Are they albino? What would this mean for the resulting flowers from these seeds?
Any input is appreciated. If you need some I can get to uploading some pics. I have not yet done the photo gallery 101 here yet lol.
Happy gardening. Peace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory white seeds??

By the way.. There is obviously no biased/discrimination when I was emptying the seed pods as the seeds are invisible through the skins. So it isn't like I was going for white ones. It's the natural ratio of seeds my vines produced. The beige-seed pods were every bit as ready as the black-seed pods, and dried the same and all. Thanks!

o

Hi, from one purple to another. I don't know the answer to your question, but have observed the same thing although I never tried to sprout any to compare how each color germinated, just saved them for spring. Don't remember noticing the next year if they were still different colors or if all had turned black. I'm sure someone who knows something more will come along soon and share.

I suspect the answer is that as they age, they turn black but are often viable before that happens. Maybe it's exposure to oxygen after the covering cracks open. Good question!

o

I have some of my seeds that are a light beige also. I believe they are just as ripe as the black ones. I wouldn't have gathered them if the pods weren't brown and ready for picking.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 10, 11 at 10:03

Some morning glory plants make beige seeds as opposed to the black.
But I do want to point out that this is completely different than the color white. You can try to harvest seeds too early and they will be white irregardless of whether they will be black or beige. This is when the seed casing is still soft and does not crumble easily like when the seeds are viable. At that point, the seeds are not mature enough and have not developed their final color, beige or black.
Remy

o

I know this is a slightly older post but i thought id add! I bought some mixed morning glory seeds from burpee and was concerned to see about half of them very light beige! I did a germination test with some of them and they had almost perfect germination, i think out of about 8 only 1 did not germinate, which i got a similar number for black!

o

If they are I. purpurea seeds, then it sounds like they are Caprice aka Sidney.Sidney is a light blue flower with a purple star.Really nice. They have light colored seeds. There are some I. tricolors that sometimes produce beige seeds. These would be Flying Saucers and Blue Star.Usually these two varieties have black seeds.

o

Dr. Purple sounds like you have a new cross. Some MG's seeds come in beige colors. Check the Vine Forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here