Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My zinnias won't turn brown!

Posted by ruth_mi z5MI (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 19:56

I haven't deadheaded since August, and didn't do much even then. I swear these zinnias are frozen in time! :-) The flowers that were pink six weeks ago are just a little faded now.

I still have new buds and flowers, although since the weather has turned cooler, the flowers are more reddish.

How long should it be taking these to dry out and turn brown?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My zinnias won't turn brown!

Ruth,
Unlike most other flowers, zinnia seeds can be collected before the flower has turned brown. If you pull out the basal petals and they have a thickened seed at the end, you can harvest them while still green and let them dry a bit longer than if they were brown already. I was skeptical when I first heard this, but that is how I collected my seed last year and I had excellent germination this spring.

Martha

o

Martha,

Thanks! It just seems so weird that they're not turning brown. But on the most faded one, I pulled a few petals out today, and the seeds look like they're maturing.

o

My Oklahoma Zinnias have the same experience. I love this variety and really want to save the seed from some of the nicer plants. The heads seem immature after spending three months on the stem. With the upcoming freeze I am hoping they will mature to ripeness inside in a paper bag. I think the cool and cloudy weather is to blame for the slow maturity of the seed heads. I have had trouble obtaining viable zinnia seeds in past years and hope this yield will work out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here