Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moonflower vine

Posted by ladycraft 6 (jsks53@suddenlink.net) on
Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 20:12

My vines were slow to start blooming but now I have a couple big seed pods. I'm afraid they will not ripen before the frost. Is there anything I can do to save them? I've got alot of buds and know they won't turn into pods. But I would like to save enough seeds to start for next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moonflower vine

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 10, 08 at 9:13

Hi,
This is a tropical plant that blooms so late so it is tough to get ripe seed from up north. I would keep a close eye on the pods to hopefully see changes, like dryness or color, indicating the seeds are about ripe. If you don't see any before frost is coming, you'll have to cover the plant for the night. Sometimes around here, we get an early frost, but then the temps stay relatively nice for awhile, so that could happen for you, and with covering the plant, you'll stretch out the time needed for ripe seeds.
Remy

o

How long does it take them to ripen because I'm having the same fear even though I live in SC and might not get a frost till Nov or Dec.

o

My vine has had pods for about a month or so. Only a few have ripened. I have managed to get some seeds and hope my other pods will ripen before the frost. It takes a LONG time. If yours don't ripen in time, I should have some extra seed to share. Nikki

o

My seed pods seem like they have been there for well over a month too. I noticed last night that the stem had a little brown on it but not sure that they will be ready before the frost which looks like a good chance next week. I am going to try covering them. They are still loaded with blooms. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll be happy with a few for next year. Kathy

o

Are we talking about the one that has the big leaves? My pods have been purple for almost two months but none of them are changing color. What do the pods look like when they are ripe?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here