Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
saving store bought tomato seeds

Posted by sandpebbles 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 21:09

hello.

while i often grow tomatoes, i've never taken to time to save seeds. too busy enjoying them i suppose. :)

i recently bought a delicious looking/tasting orange colored tomato from my local supermarket. while i realize i may end up with a surprise fruit (and probably not an heirloom), what would be the best way to save this or any other seeds.

thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: saving store bought tomato seeds

Hi sandpebbles,

Check out the link below about saving Tomato seeds.

while i realize i may end up with a surprise fruit (and probably not an heirloom),
You are right. It will likely be a surprise, and I would fear a bad one since most store bought tomatoes are hybrids, bred for storage and the ability to be picked green and end up tasting like cardboard by the time they ripen.

Since there are maybe 10,000 different tomato varieties, I wouldn't try growing something that might not turn out good.

If you are interested in growing some tomatoes, with little output on seeds, you might check out the Seed Exchange Forum. While you can't ask for seeds with nothing to offer in trade, you can respond to seeds for postage offers. Folks often offer up their excess seeds for postage. Just look for posts that say, sase, sasbe, free, for postage, etc.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ on saving tomato seeds

o
RE: saving store bought tomato seeds

thanks Sue for the link. i tasted an orange tomato from a friend who wasn't aware of the name as it was given to her by another friend who recieved it from a neighbor. anyway, i'm always in search of that tomato. 10,000 did you say. LOL. but ofcourse. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here