Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matovisme

Something hatched within my seed collection.

matovisme
15 years ago

I have tiny beetles now. I store my seeds in envelopes placed in a cabinet after dying. I don't put a lid on them because I have never had a problem. Anyway, I was putting some more away and I have some tiny beetles that have apparently hatched within one of the envelopes. I have narrowed it down to one envelope they are coming from and taken care of the problem. When collecting these pods, I had a hard time with insects while I removed the seeds. I have not net identified the wildflower, I just know it grows by water. Anybody have this problem?

Comments (11)

• midwesternerr
    15 years ago

alot of seed heads i collected had insect larva. I think I am going to stuff some insectitice powder in each envelope from now on

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Midwesternerr - I would make sure you inform those you trade with that you're using the insecticide on the seeds as some people don't use or want chemicles in their gardens.

• midwesternerr
    15 years ago

Don't worry Rose, I won't send anyone seeds treated with insecticide! I'm not trading this year because, to be honest, I am not sure that my collecting & saving skills are too trustworthy just yet! Fortunately, several kind people sent me seeds for a sase to help get me started.

One problem with insecticide is if birds consumed the seeds it would be a problem. I'd hate to think I took out some rare bird species fretting over some insects.

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

I have problems with the hollyhock seed having bugs in them, someone said to put them in the freezer, has anyone else done this? I put mine in the freezer for a few days, that took care of the bugs but you must not open the bag 'til the seeds are back to room temp. I'm not sure why thats just what I've heard.
    -B

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Bugs that are very specific to the type of seed it is. Meaning Bean Weevils attack only beans; Hollyhock Weevils only attack hollyhocks, etc. So seeing a bug invasion will not ruin all your seeds, just one specific type. I do have to say it can be very alarming to find the bugs. I'll never forget opening my big hollyhock envelope and seeing a party going on!
    Once you have identified which seed you have a problem with, remember that you must freeze the seed to kill any larva that might be lurking within. Placing them in the freezer for a week will do the trick. Since storage is short, I just place a paper envelope in the freezer. If you use a closed container to place the seeds in the freezer, remember to let the seeds come to room temp before opening. You can kill the seeds by opening too quick. Also when doing this to large, slow to dry, seeds like beans, wait until they are completely dry to place in the freezer. To test for dryness take a few beans outside and smash them with a hammer on a hard surface like your driveway. If they smush, they are not dry enough. If they shatter, they are good to freeze.
    Remy

• token28001
    15 years ago

Is it a white hibisbus like flower that grows near ponds? Almost all of my hibiscus have these beetles. Trudi's wintersown.org website says that the seeds should still be viable.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Token,
    I've searched for awhile and can not find the info you wrote about.

For clarification, Weevils eat seeds, and you will find them in storage crawling out of your seeds. The seeds they crawl out of will NOT be viable.
    When collecting seeds though you can find many plants that are full of insects or when you bring seeds inside, you may find insects as you remove chaff. Not all insects found with seeds damage them.
    Remy

• sarahbobarah
    15 years ago

i have also heard that a "natural insecticide" is to freeze them for a day, then take them back out.
    in fact, now that i think about it, my grandparents have always stored their veggie seeds in the freezer until the next growing season...

• pearlgirl
    15 years ago

I've had those beetles (didn't know what they were called)
    in my hibiscus seeds...wellllll....I put the packs in
    the freezer for a while and ....no more problem. Try
    the freezer!!!!
    Margaret

• token28001
    15 years ago

Remy,
    It was on this site, written by Trudi.

Here's the link, it's a FAQ

I looked at my hibiscus seeds. Over half of a white variety I collected have huge holes in the ends of the seed. I plan to wintersow them, but I doubt they are viable. It looks like the bug cut a perfect hole out of the end.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Token,
    Thanks, I was looking at the wintersown.org website, not the faqs on the Winter Sowing forum. I hate to disagree with Trudi, but once the damage is done, it is done.
    The link below explains it well how the seed embryo is damaged by the weevils.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollyhock Weevil Info

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions