Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kalanchoe Seeds

Posted by sunita_fleuriste 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 07 at 21:17

hi all,

I have a kalanchoe plant that has many dried flowerheads..

I looked inside and they are three tiny pods which have very small seeds (I think!).

They are fine as dust....is that really the seed? And how does one grow them??

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kalanchoe Seeds

Probably - all the plants in this plant family (Crassulaceae) have dust-like seeds. Other memebrs of this plant family include Jade Plant, Echeveria, Sempervivum and Sedum.

o
RE: Kalanchoe Seeds

Yes, those are the seeds. They can be put directly into any seedling or potting mix. Keep them warm and moist and you should get a ton of seedlings. You can sift them out of the flower fras, but they seem to do ok with some of it still left in the mix. A trick my teacher tought me with such small seeds is to mix them with a little pearlite or vermiculite and then sprinkle the mixture on top of the soil so you get a somewhat even dispersion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here