Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taterbug_gw

impatiens seed-please help

taterbug
16 years ago

O.K., I understand the seed pods burst open easily-but WHERE ARE THE PODS? I have looked and looked and I just don't see them! Someone please help me. (It took me a long time to find periwinkle seed pods , also) Thanks so much, taterbug

Comments (6)

• mamakiwi
    16 years ago

Funny you should ask because I spent the better part of this afternoon looking myself. First, take a look at the bloom. In the center of the bloom is a small green protuberance with a pale end. This will become the seed pod, so now look for stems from which the petals have all fallen. Some will have the tiny protuberance, some you will see the seed pod has fallen off of, and some (yippee) will have a fattened seed pod of about 1/2-3/4 inch long. It will still be green and the best way I can describe its shape is flame shaped--narrow on the ends and fat in the center. Be careful when you remove it, because it will explode quite easily.

• ocsusan
    16 years ago

I found the pods this afternoon as well. Now can I store these right away, or do I have to let dry naturally, letting the pod pop? In fact, do I need to wait for dry seeds for any flower, i.e. the vinca that are still green. I ordinarily wait for them to go brown, just before they are ready to open to gather. I'd love to be able to take them when I see them, rather than wait.

• taterbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your help. I just found information on the gallery on seed saving forum that is very helpful. My impatiens are not setting seeds yet.
    happy seed gathering, taterbug

• jas_il
    16 years ago

I took few pictures of impatience. It has seed pods.

Mature seed pods will explode when you touch it.
    Hope it might be helpful.

Jasmine

• taterbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, those pictures are great! taterbug

• tessa74
    16 years ago

Ha Ha on me! i've been waiting and waiting for my pods to turn brown. but everytime i go check on them, no brown ones :-( i kept thinking something was eating them. so i decided to just pick a big fat one and boy was i surprised when it "moved" in my hand! i dropped it really quick thinking i got a bug/worm thing with it. so i looked closely at where i dropped it and saw these "catapillar" looking things. well, it wasn't moving so i poked it around with my finger (usually i won't touch bugs, dead or alive). well, as you can all guess, it was the bursted pod! weird how they curl up like that! silly me! i scared myself for nothing! anywho, after i figured it all out, i went along happily plucking off big fat seed pods. here comes a question- if they don't automatically burst open in my hand, do i just let them sit in a container until they do? the seeds in the ones that i "helped" burst open are not brown and don't look ripe. will they ripen off the plant? thanks for listening. i did feel a little silly.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions