Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American Beautyberry

Posted by midwesternerr 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 23:34

Does anyone know the method to clean beautyberry seeds? The fruit seems very sticky and hard to remove without damaging the seed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American Beautyberry

I came here to ask about harvesting American Beautyberry, and what do you know? This thread was at the top of the list. Midwesternerr, I hope you don't mind if I ride your coattails. Our questions seem very related.

How do I know when the seeds are ready? The idea is to leave most for the birds, and harvest enough to start more.

Tom Clothier states that the seeds should be sown at 70 degrees F. Do I need to do anything to ,er, uh, duplicate passage through a bird's digestive system?

Thanks for your help.

Seedmama

o

I went digging deeper and came up with the following. It may not be the kind cleaning answer you are looking for, but I did notice each berry has from 2 to 4 seeds. Perhaps you are not damaging the seeds, but instead separating the four?

http://www.easywildflowers.com/cal.ame.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautyberry

o

Possible solution: I fermented the seeds with 4 days in a solutions of water. The berries rehydrated and became very swollen. It was then very easy to smush the seeds out without damaging them as the seeds are hard and the pulp is smushy like an overripe fruit. Not sure if this process of hydrating and dehydrating damages the seed, but it sure makes seperating easier (maybe if you had fresh berries this isn't a problem anyway though). I also tried fully drying some, but that doesn't make seperation any easier.

o

I collected some beautyberrys and just dried them out. Then I winter sowed them around January and they sprouted in the Spring. I have a nice little baby shrub now..about 2 years old. I didn't do anything at all to the berries except dry them out!

o

Thanks for your help ghoghunter!

o

I collected some fresh seed today. They are incredibly easy to seperate when fresh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here