Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dazzlebean_gw

How to save seeds?

dazzlebean
9 years ago

Hello!
I am new to seed saving, so I'm very excited and anxious.
I am saving a collection of seeds (rose seeds, apple seeds, pear seeds, and pumpkin seeds), and I have thoroughly researched how to save the seeds, but I have read so many ways that I'm no longer certain what ways will be the best.

I read that for pumpkin, the seeds should be left to dry for 2-4 weeks, and then stored in a cool place/fridge until planting. Is this the proper way? Any tips?

I have planted apple seeds before, and apples and pears are very similar so I am okay with these. But my main worry is with my rose seeds.

I have harvested a few dozen rose seeds from a rose bush we have. I have read that you should soak them for 24h in a peroxide water solution, and then put them in the fridge all winter.
I have also read just to do this for an hour or so, and then let them dry out for a week or so and then put them in the fridge all winter.
One more way I have read is to do the solution, and then put the seeds in a moist potting mix in the fridge all winter. So confusing! What way would be the best? I don't want to kill my seeds somehow! Haha. Thanks in advance! ðÂÂÂ

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions