Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finding seeds of Brazilian morning glory

Posted by ellenr z6 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 10, 09 at 7:30

Hi all,
I removed a bunch of pods, but on opening them, they were moist, and so I thought, not ready to yield the seed.

Should I dry them before trying to get the seed?

Thanks,
ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finding seeds of Brazilian morning glory

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 10, 09 at 19:22

Hi Ellen,
You need to let them be(on the plant) until the outer shell turns crispy. If you try to remove ipomoea species seeds before then, they will end up being moist as you found out and no good.
Remy

o

oh dear, then I'm out of luck.
lol - I cut off all the seed pods!
oh well, I can trade for them.
Anyway I didn't have very many blooms from them.
You're in my zone, Remy, do they do well for you?

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 11, 09 at 8:24

Ellen,
Lol, we've all done things like that! I've not grown the Brazilian MG yet. I've grown a lot of others though, and they are all the same in respect to their seeds. As far as blooms of MG species, some of them take awhile to get going like Ipomoea alba(White Moonflower.) The flowers were spectacular. Unfortunately it took forever to see blooms, and then many of them got lost to frost. Not all are like that though. Some species start pumping out blooms earlier. For the Brazilian MG, I wonder if starting early, potting up and having a good size plant to get in the garden once spring frosts are done would work better.
Remy

o

ellenr,
I grew Brazilian morning glory for several years and didn't save the seeds, since they came up volunteer from the previous season's seeds. Finally, however, I didn't get any seeds from the previous year to come up. I was using the Brazilian morning glory to graft sweet potatoes for possible cross-pollenation. If you have seeds to spare, please let me know. Thanks. --Taterman

o

Sorry - no seeds.
good luck finding them.
sounds like an interesting pollination project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here