Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Hubbard Squash Seed

Posted by tom8olvr Z5 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 07 at 8:47

Here at the hospital I work at, I purchased a 40 lb hubbard from the rehab department. I plan on (attempting to open it before Thanks Giving). I'd like to save some seed from this big beauty. Is there anything special I need to do in order to save seed? I'm only familiar with saving seed from seeds in liquid/gels - not dry like this. Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Hubbard Squash Seed

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 20, 07 at 21:22

Hi tom8olvr,
It is very easy to do. Just take all the plump seeds and rinse them off the best you can. Then let them dry on a paper plate or paper towels.
Chances are it was grown in a big field of Hubbard Squash and will come true. I've grown out squash from the local squash farmer and had them come true. But there is always a chance it crossed with another type of squash.
In case you or anyone reading doesn't know, squash need insect pollination to make fruit unlike say tomatoes that pollinate themselves. So if a plant is grown in close proximity to anther variety, there is the possibility of cross pollination.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here