Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving and preparing vegetable seeds

Posted by pat45 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 3, 08 at 9:20

I have collected nastursium, pole bean and butternut squash seeds for planting next year.

Please tell me where I can find the proper way of drying, freezing to kill "bugs" and storing the seeds over the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving and preparing vegetable seeds

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 3, 08 at 10:09

Hi Pat,
Your Nasturtium and Squash only need to be left to dry and then put in a paper envelope to store in a dark cool dry place.
The beans can be frozen to kill any weevils after they have been dried. Drying just involves leaving them spread out on a paper plate or a regular plate with paper towels for at least a week after harvest. I usually leave them for a couple to be sure. To see if they are dry enough for freezing, take a few outside and smash them with a hammer on concrete or other hard surface. If they shatter, they are dry enough. If they smush, they need to dry longer.
Once dry enough, put them in your freezer for a week. If you put in an air tight container, let the container come to room temp before opening. If you open too soon, you can kill the seed. You can keep the bean seed in the freezer for long term storage just remember to wait every time before opening the container. I prefer to just keep in a dark cool dry place to make it easier.
Hope this helps,
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here