Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best ways to organize....

Posted by Sondra_TN 7/TN (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 15, 05 at 9:33

seeds and instructions? On hand and on pc?
I am a newbie to saving & receiving seeds...so any kind of time saving ideas would be greatfully appreciated! :))

Thank you,
Sondra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best ways to organize....

I'm still trying to figure that out =)
I have packets in photo boxes, divided into veggies, annuals, and perennials, arranged by family. I have bulk seeds in jars of all sizes! (I've got a gallon jar FULL of trumpet vine seeds, anyone need some??)
as for records, well... I do have most of my '04 seeds listed in a note book, needs to be updated. I also have most of my fresh seeds cataloged, but its all just chicken scratchings at the moment =) My traded-for seeds are in a manilla envelope marked "seeds to be filed." Its positively bulging!
I really need to find a system and stick to it!

o
RE: Best ways to organize....

Don't know if this would work for others, but....I have begun to organize mine by germination requirements (length of time mostly).
Or if they can be direct sown in the Spring...I have a bag with those. Then there are the "to be Winter Sown"...have a bag of those, too.
This way I don't have to go hunting down all the seeds I want to sow at the same times...they are all in the same bags. I usually include a list of what is in each bag so I can check it off as I sow it.
I also have a seed list spread sheet that lists all of them with their individual requirements.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here