Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian Plums (and other Fruit trees)

Posted by averybird Zone 5b, WA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 10:35

Hello, does anyone have experience saving seeds from fruit trees? Can I save the pits from my Italian Plums and trade them? Specifically wondering if there is any treatment process they must endure to properly germinate later, or if it is as simple as drying the pits and they are ready.

I also have apple, quince, and peach trees in the yard as well. If anyone has any information about saving seeds from fruit trees it would be much appreciated.

Thank you, Kristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian Plums (and other Fruit trees)

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 20:07

Hi Kristi,
What I'm telling you I know is true for apples and roses, and since plums are in the same family(quince and peach are too,) I assume it is true for them as well. The seed should be kept moist and sown outdoors because they need winter to break dormancy. Winter sowing works well.
The tree that grows will not be the same as the tree it came from, but it could be very nice. To get the same variety, you need to root or graft a cutting.

For citrus the seed need to be kept moist if not sown immediately. Of course they don't need cold to germinate. Some citrus like Key Limes will come true from seed. The seeds if removed from the lime and put in a moist paper towel in a baggie will start to sprout in just a few days.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here